The mission of the Morton-James Public Library is to welcome and support all people in their enjoyment of reading and pursuit of lifelong learning. We strive to provide equal access to quality materials and services to meet the community’s informational, educational, recreational, and cultural needs through books, technology, programs, and other resources. We believe in the freedom to read, to learn, and discover.
To serve all residents of Nebraska City and the surrounding area both as a library as well as a cultural center, the Morton-James Public Library is to:
- Be an active and progressive institution, which provides materials in all formats to its users to reflect the particular needs, interests, and life styles of its users.
- Provide information and reference services which are beyond its own facilities through electronic resources, interlibrary loan and cooperative arrangements with other libraries, agencies and organizations at the local, regional, and state levels.
- Provide competent library staff to serve the community.
- Provide special literary and cultural programs to enrich the community and to encourage use of the library facility.
- Provide adequately equipped and accessible library and reading room facilities.
- To strive continually to identify community needs, to provide programs of service to meet such needs, and to cooperate with other organizations, agencies, and institutions, which can provide programs or services to meet community needs.
Library policies are determined by the Library Board during their monthly meetings. A digital copy of the current policies is kept a the main circulation desk upstairs and at the Children’s Library circulation desk on the lower level.
Links to PDF documents of the current library policies are located in the following list:
- Accident Incident Report and Form
- Application for Library Card Policy
- Application for Temporary Library Card Policy
- Book and Media Returns Policy
- Building Closures, Emergencies and Disasters Policy
- Bulk Loans Policy
- Bulk Loans to Nebraska City Assisted Living, Retirement and Care Facilities Policy
- Bulk Loans to Schools Policy
- Circulation Rules Policy
- Collection Development Policy
- Confidentiality of Library Records Policy
- Displays and Exhibits Policy
- Electronic Devices and Equipment Policy Including Telescope Borrowing Agreement
- Finance Policy
- Fines Policy
- Genealogy and History Research Policy
- General Statements
- Gifts and Donations Policy
- Grace Moller Technology Center Policy and Regulations
- Homebound Delivery Program Policy and Registration Form
- Interlibrary Loan Policy
- Library Board Policy
- Library Hours Policy
- Loans to Nebraska City Assisted Living, Retirement and Care Facilities Policy
- Meeting Rooms Reservations, Use Policy and Request Form
- Movie Performance License Policy
- No Smoking Policy
- OCLC Name and Address Directory Lending Policy (For Libraries Only)
- Patron Code of Conduct Policy
- Public Bulletin Board and Information Counter Policy
- Reconsideration of Library Materials Policy and Form
- Security Camera Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Test Proctoring Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Working Conditions Policy